WINTER FLY FISHING
If you find yourself thirsting to land trout during the winter we offer guided winter fly fishing trips for the die-hard angler.
Fishing in Colorado during the snowy days of winter may reward you with trophy size trout. Most of our winter trips are conducted on our local tailwaters, like the Blue River and the William's Fork because a tailwater river is less likely to freeze over than a Freestone river (e.g. the Colorado River). Tailwaters are home to many of the trophy trout in our state. Primarily, we sight nymph (i.e. sub-surface fish) to good-sized trout with size 18-26 nymphs but "blind nymphing" is sometimes required. A "warmer day," when the air temperature reaches into the high 30's and above, increases the possibility of experiencing a Blue Wing Olive and/or a Midge hatch. A solid hatch of either of these insects often creates an opportunity to surface fish with small dry flies.
Since the winter mornings and late afternoons can be a bit too cold to fish comfortably, we suggest that you book half-day trips from mid-November into early March. In addition, our winter trips typically start later, and end earlier, than our summer trips-- think "Banker's Hours."
So, if you are looking for a change of pace from the long lift lines and icy ski trails, consider an alternative plan of action. A guided fly fishing trip with us on the Blue River, the Williams Fork River, or the Colorado River might just be the highlight of your "ski vacation."
Online Booking Tips:
Winter Season: If you are having difficulty booking a trip online during the winter season, please call us at the shop: 970-262-2878. We do have guides available most days throughout the winter but it is difficult to show their availability on our online calendar; many of our guides have winter employment other than guiding and we typically need to call them to confirm their availability.
Summer Season: While some days are indeed already "sold-out," for next summer, we still have many days that are not "sold-out." If our booking calendar is telling you that there are not any trips available, on any day, you may need to clear your browser's history, including the cache, and then check our calendar again. If you still don't see any trips available, please call us at 970-262-2878. We'll do our best to get you on the water. Thank-You!
Reservation and Cancellation Policies:
* A 50% deposit is required to make a winter trip reservation.
* Deposit amounts are fully refundable outside of 7 days of your reservation date.
* Cancellations or date changes within 7 days of your reservation date will result in the loss of your deposit.
* We fish rain, shine or snow. If conditions are deemed too dangerous to fish, a full refund will be issued.
Waivers and Declaimers:
* There is inherent risk in taking a guided trip.
* Anyone under 18 being is considered to be a minor.
* A signed waiver is required for each client. Minor Waivers must be signed, without exception, by either a Parent or Legal Guardian. Friends of the family cannot sign the waiver for a minor.
* All or part of this operation is conducted on Public Lands under special permit from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
** We are a Licensed Colorado River Outfitter-Permits Issued by Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the Bureau of Land Management.