Rule one is to have fun! Whether you’re a beginner still self-conscious of tangles or an old pro who just needs knots and nets, Charlie is there to help and show you a great time. His relaxed teaching style and calm personality make him an excellent choice for all skill levels. Charlie was raised in Webster Groves Missouri west of St. Louis. At a very young age he was drawn to Nature and the beauty of Missouri’s forests, rivers and lakes. Both of Charlie’s grandfathers can be blamed for his initial addiction to fishing, but it wasn’t until moving to Fairplay, Colorado in the mid 90’s, that he received his formal education in Dry Fly Fishing from his father. Armed with his first fly rod at 14, fishing light dries in the high winds of Park County soon became a common pastime, and the spinning rod was left to gather dust. After attending college in Durango, Charlie moved back to Summit County where he started work as a Dog Sledding Guide during the winters. It was here that he discovered he had a knack for teaching and working with people. This soon transcended into Fly Fish Guiding when he combined his passion of fishing and his ability to teach by joining the Cutthroat Angler crew in 2009. During Charlie’s time with Cutthroat he has created many popular flies including the TDJ Golden, TDJ Oprah, and the Chronic Caddis.
- Hometown: Webster Groves, Missouri
- Favorite Local Fishing Spot: Williams Fork River
- Most Used Rod, Reel & Line: G-Loomis High End Rods/Ross Evolution/ Rio Gold WF6W
- Destinations Fished: Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Bahamas, and Wyoming, Vermont, Mexico, New Mexico.
- When I’m Not Fishing I am dog sledding or golfing.
- I love to fish Colorado because its home.